Friday, December 16, 2005

Warning

Please, please read Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. It is a wonderful tale of how we all connect to one another and the desire to feel intimate with another person. It is one of those novels that will change your viewpoint on society and how we relate to one another. If you were ever thinking you needed a new book to read, this is it.

But do not play the audiobook in your car. Driving down Main Street in Manchester, I was literally bawling in my car listening to one of the final, heavy scenes. People were staring at me, wondering if I was okay. I wasn't. I walked into work, my eyes puffy, cheeks glistening, realizing just how important we are to each other.

It was a pretty weird day.

3 comments:

Mattyd said...

I'm just not secure enough in my own masculinity to risk reading a book that will make me bawl. I mean, girls bawl. Guys maybe tear up on a rare occasion...or step out of the room. But bawl? In public?

But the sentence "It is a wonderful tale of how we all connect to one another and the desire to feel intimate with another person." killed it for me, even before the bawling. You're just a more highly developed, sensitive guy than I ever hope to be. And perhaps want to be.

Of course, with that said, I wouldn't want you to change a bit.

kellycoxsemple said...

I bought this book in Chicago a couple months ago (ironic, considering how close I am to New York), but haven't read it yet. Your recommendation has convinced me to do so. As soon as I finish the book I'm on.

By the way, bawling is good for the soul, as long as one doesn't make a terribly regular habit of it.

Brett E. Lassoff said...

Awww, that's so nice. Thanks Matt