Thursday, December 01, 2005

Pratchett

When I'm feeling distraught, I don't like reading in depth, intricate literature. Instead, I need to go for the humorous and zany works every time. So, as I was a little depressed this week (no worries blogging class, that cloud has long passed) I picked up a Terry Pratchett book and was immediately taken in by the rich world he has created in the Discworld series.

Pratchett's Discworld series is a sardonic take on the fantasy genre. In each book (and there are a ridiculous amount of them), Pratchett lampoons other fantasy conventions. The irony is that throughout the series Pratchett has created a unique and fantastic world that is better than anything other fantasy writers have created. His own satire has become a living world with an amazing amount of depth. I read Terry Pratchett to laugh, but often times I find myself moved and engaged in the story he has created.

Everybody should read Terry Pratchett if only for the "brain candy" experience that he provides. Pick up any of the Discworld books and you will be surprised at how easy they are to get into and how hard they are to put down. Give your mind a break, go for the funny.

1 comment:

Bora Zivkovic said...

Terry Pratchet rocks! My fave: "The Truth"