Thursday, December 22, 2005

Did I Mess Up?

Well sort of. Yesterday I was called out by Bora for not writing a paper for blogclass. There was a twinge of guilt there, considering he's been so kind to me. I was already feeling guilty over it beforehand. Then an email from the big guy shows up, asking me in a very nice way why I didn't write a paper. He seemed disappointed. The guilt exploded into a hundred shards of glass, each piercing my sensitive heart.

Okay, that's a lie, but maybe also not so much.

There are many reasons why I failed to write a paper and none of them had to do with the fact that I'm lazy. Indeed, those who know how often I write should realize that nothing could be further from the truth. I love writing, and term papers are no exception. But in this case, I just couldn't do it.

The first reason was that I was burned out about analyzing blogging. There's an old story about how Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle were sitting in the bullpen at the all-star game. Ted plied Mickey with all this information about hitting; proper stance, shoulder rotation and so on. After the game, Mickey claims he couldn't swing properly for like a month. That's how I was feeling, like I'd lost my swing. After the fateful night where my blog was deconstructed and put back together, I'd just had enough. I didn't want anything to do with analyzing the medium anymore. Sorry.

The second reason was that I made a choice between blogging and writing my term paper and I chose blogging. My energies are best spent writing about pretty girls eating sushi with me at 3am and speed dating. I made a decision, and I must live with.

Then there's the life I must live in order to maintain my blog. More on that later...

So, I'm sorry if people were upset that I didn't write a paper. I didn't, but I'll continue to blog and entertain, while continually discovering interesting things about myself. Hope to see you out there.

3 comments:

Bora Zivkovic said...

Hey, you are a blogger now and you rock. As long as Colin does not fail you, I'll live without your paper. Keep writing about speed dates and you have passed in my grade-book.

Mattyd said...

I'm envious. I interviewed more than 50 people, had them participate in a study that took quite some time, and then proceeded to write an 8 page piece of crap that I actually forgot to email to Colin until he asked me about it today.

How much cooler would I have been had I just had said, "Screw it. I ain't writing no stinking paper."

And though it hardly would have made much of a difference, I also chose to blog rather than work on the paper as much as I could have. It's remarkable how much I'm enjoying blogging without the pressure of examining the blogosphere.

And yes, Bora should've written a paper. More than any of us, he should've written a paper.

Brett E. Lassoff said...

He commented, but only privately, as is his way.