Wednesday, November 09, 2005

I've Sort of Changed My Mind (Rare)

I still dislike John Rush's judgmental preachings on Anvil and Fire, but after reading his elegant response to our John's criticism, I appreciate him a whole lot more. The guy is definitely a lot more open-minded than I gave him credit for. I just hope that perhaps he takes the time to include more of the conversation, and less of the bull "we are better" mentality. Nobody likes a bragger.

However, the comments regarding John's criticism of John (too many Johns) were very negative and kind of offended. Almost Neddie-Jingo followerish. Consider this from Joe, who seems to post on every intolerant Christian blog:

"Here's the thing. This is YOUR blog. It is supposed to reflect YOU, unless YOU don't want it to.I read your posts almost every day, even when they are not new. I like your style and I like your content.If others don't, they are but a mouse-click away from going elsewhere. I say: do what you want to do. Ignore criticism, unless you like not ignoring (sic) it. Then don't. Keep on loving the Lord and doing as He leads. I, for one, will keep reading."

To which I felt the need to respond:

"Blogs are public for a reason. If John didn't want any criticism, he should sit back and write his thoughts in a journal or perhaps say them in a more conventional manner. Part of the purpose of a blog is to invite debate and dialogue, even if it is negative. John Rush's real morality showed up when he decided to accept the criticism and respond to it. That's what makes a person grow."

But apparently my interesting point of view was easily vanquished by the comment from Janice, which read:

"I was brought up being told , If you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all! Times have changed."

My mommy would be so disappointed in me. How dare she raise a child who is capable of speaking up when he dislikes something.

John Rush, keep doing whatever it is you are doing, because you obviously have some serious followers. But at the same time, perhaps you might want to consider our thoughts as well.

No comments: