So it was with great interest when I read about the Hartford monorail project in the Sunday Courant. For the full effect, you need to see the map on the back of the Northeast. It really is quite a wonder. There are several things that need to happen in order for it to work:
- The Rentschler Field "Evergreen Walk-esque" project needs to move forward. Make that area a cool place to hang out.
- The East Hartford riverfront needs to be developed. Build nice, affordable condominiums, cool restaurants and coffee houses that people will want to visit. Sell the condominiums to young professionals rather than older retirees (which is apparently what is happening to the Hartford condos).
- The Metro-North line between New Haven and Springfield needs to be built. The reason why Hartford fails so gloriously is that it's so hard to get to. Make it easier for people from different counties to visit Hartford.
- Commuter lots need to be built in East Hartford. Make it easy for people to go to the nice restaurants and bars in Hartford.
- The actual train and commuter lots need to be well maintained and managed. Otherwise we are going to end up with a broken down embarassment that people will avoid. It will be shunned like CT transit.