Thursday, August 11, 2005

Texas on my Mind

I'm going to be traveling to Texas to see my brother for about four days, so my journal wont be updated for a little while. It wont really hit me that I'm flying until I see the plane parked in front of the gate, and then I will get nervous. Despite my flight anxiety, I tend to fly about four times a year, so I've come up with some interesting ways to cope with it:
1. Noise Cancelling Headphones--These amazing products completely obliterate any engine noise, seriously diminishing any anxiety. Usually I tend to use these in concert with relaxing classical music to wipe out any ideas my mind might have.
2. Meclizine (aka Bonine)--This over the counter drug essentially numbs your inner ear canals, causing you to relax. You wont be disturbed by sudden plane movements because you wont feel them that much. I also use this drug sometimes while sailing if the seas get really rough.
3. A really fun book--My current favorite author is Clive Cussler, who writes Dirk Pitt adventure novels. Cussler's "brain candy" are exciting, suspenseful and interesting. Check him out if you've got some time and dont want to think while reading.4. Food--I know this one sounds silly, but sometimes comfort food can ease that long flight. I pick something that I dont usually allow myself to have (today I'm thinking Fritos). Comfort food usually does the trick for me.That's it I suppose. Texas is always interesting for me since it seems like another world. I'll be sure to write about it when I get back. Until then, have a nice weekend and I'll be right back on Monday.

No comments: